Sales & Purchase Ledger Controller
Join our Finance Team and help us release the full potential of flat roofs.
Position: Permanent, full-time
Hours of work: 8:30am to 5pm
Place of work: Ipswich office based (with possibility of hybrid)
Probation period: 6 months
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Benefits package includes: Private health insurance, cycle to work scheme, mental health & wellbeing sessions, paid leave for birthdays and charity work, life assurance, training and development
We are a team of creative, dedicated and ambitious professionals all working towards a collective vision: to improve the roofscape and transform the world above our heads. We are inspired by the extraordinary and always seek out more sustainable and innovative ways to waterproof better, making flat roofs that benefit our climate and communities.
We are driven by our passion for technical detail and design, offering a comprehensive service package and a system portfolio renowned for its quality.
We are a vibrant team who enjoy what we do. Our values: service, collaboration, respect and integrity are embedded into our approach, and we are committed to delivering excellence every time. We are also a fun and friendly team who enjoy a challenge. Does this sound like somewhere you'd like to work? Then we'd love to hear from you.
The role of a Sales and Purchase Ledger Controller involves working within a small team tasked with overseeing and administrating the financial transactions related to sales and purchases within the company. This role is crucial for maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of financial activities, ensuring compliance with accounting standards, upholding the policies and procedures of the finance team, and contributing to the overall financial integrity of the company and its overall success.
- Chase debtors (payment), to ensure that outstanding debt is kept to a minimum and a steady income of revenue is received by the Company.
- Chase suppliers (invoices) to ensure that payments owed by the business are paid timely and accurately, maintaining trust with suppliers and the business’ professional reputation.
- Log, maintain, and file supplier purchase invoices in accordance with financial regulation and internal processes, enabling easy access as and when required.
- Produce customer invoicing, statements, and credit notes, to ensure customer payments are received on time and enabling the tracking of sales so that the business can effectively manage its cashflow.
- Carry out supplier statement reconciliation to identify any invoice discrepancies and ensure that the billing process is complete before payment.
- Carry out payment authorisation (limited by role) as instructed by the Managing Director, ensuring that authorisation is given on time to meet customer/ supplier expectations.
- Carry out sales order approvals ensuring accuracy of the order and payment terms, enabling quick and efficient turnaround.
- Process employee and company expenses, including payment set up, in readiness for approval.
- Allocate Proof of Delivery (PODs) to assure suppliers of safe arrival of delivery, which supports a streamlined billing process to take place and protects the business from dispute.
- Purchase ledger (supplier) payment set up in readiness for approval, ensuring that the payment aligns with the invoice to enable swift approval.
- Monitor, record and post petty cash, to ensure that use is justified and that the business has an accurate record of use of expenditure.
- Investigate purchase ledger and sales ledger queries and respond accordingly, ensuring that clear and timely responses are given.
- Issue intercompany reports (weekly/monthly aged invoices) as required so that differences can be traced, before consolidation calculations are performed.
- Issue intercompany reports (weekly/monthly bank position) as required so that differences can be traced, before consolidation calculations are performed.
- Create strong working relationships and demonstrate Axter’s values when liaising with our customers and suppliers.
- Monitor and maintain the accuracy of supplier details, to mitigate disruption or errors when processing payments.
- Monitor and maintain the accuracy of trade account/customer details, to mitigate disruption or errors when processing payments.
- Carry out customer and supplier credit checks in order to assess any potential credit risk.
- Process trade credit insurance applications, enabling cover and protection for the business if payments for services are not made.
- Set up new trading accounts, ensuring accuracy of information inputted.
- Insurance backed Guarantee (IBG) payment set up. Insurance backed Guarantee (IBG) payment approval.
- Assist with queries and reporting to ensure understanding is given across the Company.
- Process Goods inwards (Warehouse & Direct).
- Process haulage invoices.
- Post bank receipts and payments in the nominal ledger.
- Complete bank reconciliation processes.
- Debtor legal action and formal recovery.
Skills and Attributes
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s, Grade A to C which must include Math’s and English.
- AAT level 2 Certificate in Accounting and AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting (preferred but not essential)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills: able to communicate professionally and eloquently to ensure colleagues, suppliers and customers are given accurate and clear guidance and information.
- Strong Microsoft Office/365 skills including Excel and Power BI. Confident with IT systems (ability to use Access Dimensions an advantage but not essential)
- Efficiently and accuracy: ability to prioritise own workload in accordance with requirements of each financial discipline (Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable)
- Tact & Diplomacy: an essential quality of this role especially when dealing with debtors who have not been paid.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Sales Ledger and/or Purchase Ledger role, or solid general bookkeeping/ cash posting experience.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who is motivated and can bring their vibrant personality to the job. If you think you’d be a good fit please complete the form below and send us your CV and a covering note stating why you'd like to work for Axter.
Take a look at our Careers page to learn about the industry leading package we offer.
If you think you'd be a good fit for this role please complete the form below and send us your CV and a covering note stating why you'd like to work for Axter.
We welcome job applications from all sections of the community and the criteria for selection are based solely upon the candidate’s ability to perform the tasks required. We appreciate the value that a diverse mix of skills, characteristics, ideas, experiences and backgrounds brings to our company, our work today and our vision for the future.
Personal data collected during the recruitment process will only be used in accordance with our data protection policy for the purpose of processing the application or to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements where necessary. A copy of our Applicant Privacy Notice will be provided.
Thank you for your interest in Axter! Your application for 'Sales & Purchase Ledger Controller' has been submitted. We will review your application and be in touch soon. Thank you.