Join our Design Team and help us release the full potential of flat roofs.
Position: Permanent, full-time
Hours of work: 37.5 hours / week
Place of work: Ipswich office based (with option for hybrid working)
Probation period: 6 months
Salary: Competitive based on experience, skills and qualifications
Benefits package includes: Private health insurance, cycle to work scheme, mental health & wellbeing sessions, paid leave for birthdays and charity work, life assurance, training and development
We are a team of creative, dedicated and ambitious professionals all working towards a collective vision: to improve the roofscape and transform the world above our heads. We are inspired by the extraordinary and always seek out more sustainable and innovative ways to waterproof better, making flat roofs that benefit our climate and communities.
We are driven by our passion for technical detail and design, offering a comprehensive service package and a system portfolio renowned for its quality.
We are a vibrant team who enjoy what we do. Our values: service, collaboration, respect and integrity are embedded into our approach, and we are committed to delivering excellence every time. We are also a fun and friendly team who enjoy a challenge. Does this sound like somewhere you'd like to work? Then we'd love to hear from you.
The Design Technician, in collaboration with technical sales colleagues, is focussed on providing an exceptional and comprehensive flat roof design service to our customers and clients. They monitor and update the Axter standard system and bespoke project detail drawing libraries in compliance with UK construction industry regulation and statutory guidance. They also operate as an integral part of the project design team providing project specific flat roof design advice and technical calculations for our customers and clients.
The role involves working closely with the Senior Design Team to deliver:
CAD design -
- Axter standard flat roof system and project specific flat roof detail design drawings in accordance with company standards, ensuring design specifications are met and delivered to a high standard.
- Update architects’ detail drawings in collaboration with the design team to reflect Axter specifications and ensure full compliance with industry standards and statutory guidance, to ensure design relevance.
- Detail design drawing workflows and progress reports for senior team reference and review to enable visibility and clarity of design progression.
Flat roof design services:
- Carry out project specific U-Value thermal calculations and dew point risk analysis using industry specific software (training provided as required) to ensure solutions are considered and implemented based on data when putting together design plans.
- Site specific wind load and drainage calculations (training provided as required) working with external specialist design consultants to ensure designs are durable and can withstand high winds and water drainage.
- Collaborative and successful working relationships with architects, main contractors, developers, roofing contractors, surveyors and other third-party stakeholders in order to deliver quality service and design excellence.
- Axter BIM object data administration in compliance with company requirements, enabling the Company to identify hazards/ risks, conduct thorough cost analysis and predict outcomes to ensure effective results.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Motivation and commitment to learn and expand knowledge both in the workplace and independently
- A good eye for detail
- Excellent organisation and prioritisation skills to meet deadlines
- Forensic in their approach
- Design and technical experience within the UK construction product and flat roofing industry is welcomed
- Experience and high-level proficiency in the use and application of AutoCAD. Knowledge of other platforms such as Revit is also an advantage
- Knowledge of architecture, construction processes, architectural technology, design, surveying, planning or other related field
- Knowledge and understanding of flat roofing in particular wind load, thermal performance of materials and control of condensation in buildings
- Able to work effectively independently, under supervision and as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Appreciation of our core values and a desire to achieve our purpose, vision and mission
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who is motivated and can bring their vibrant personality to the job. If you think you’d be a good fit please complete the form below and send us your CV and a covering note stating why you'd like to work for Axter.
Take a look at our Careers page to learn about the industry leading package we offer.
We welcome job applications from all sections of the community and the criteria for selection are based solely upon the candidate’s ability to perform the tasks required. We appreciate the value that a diverse mix of skills, characteristics, ideas, experiences and backgrounds brings to our company, our work today and our vision for the future.
Personal data collected during the recruitment process will only be used in accordance with our data protection policy for the purpose of processing the application or to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements where necessary. A copy of our Applicant Privacy Notice will be provided.
Thank you for your interest in Axter! Your application for 'Design Technician' has been submitted. We will review your application and be in touch soon. Thank you.